St Asaph, Great Colmore Street
Built in 1868 in one of the poorest districts of slum housing in Birmingham, St Asaph's was demolished after the Second World War when the area was redeveloped.
Press function key F5 to refresh the map.
This church appears on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map which can be viewed at British History Online - http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10102&ox=630&oy=216&zm=1&czm=1&x=577&y=19.
St Asaph's Church was designed by the Birmingham architect Yeoville Thomason. Built in brick with stone dressings in Decorated Gothic, it was consecrated in 1868; the church had a chancel, nave and aisles. The base of a tower was built at the west end but never completed. Built at a cost of £5450 on a site given by Cregoe Colmore between Great Colmore Street and Latimer Street (now gone but roughly where Lytham Croft is), the church was built right up the pavement and was wedge-shaped in plan, to fit the junction of the roads between which it stands. There were 950 sittings of which 500 were free; this was an very poor area of Birmingham and it is hard to imagine who might have been willing to rent seats at St Asaph's. A parish was assigned out of St Thomas's in 1869.
St Asaph's had a number of stained glass windows installed as memorials and a wooden screen which was transferred to St Lukes, Bristol Street when the church was about to be demolished.
This was a district built up almost exclusively of back-to-back houses and as one of the first areas to be cleared and redeveloped after World war 2. The church was closed in 1949 and the parish put in the charge of the vicar of St Luke's. The church was not demolished until c1960.
William Dargue 11.02.2013