Handsworth

St James

Work in progress . . . Temporary article - Information taken from British History Online - http://www.british-history.ac.uk

1855

103. ST. MICHAEL, Handsworth (St. Michael's Rd. off Soho Hill), a stone building designed by W. Bourne in the Gothic style and comprising chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, and tower with spire, was consecrated in 1855 as a chapel of ease to St. Mary's, Handsworth. (fn. 47) A parish was assigned out of St. Mary's in 1861; (fn. 48) part of it was taken to form part of the parish of St. Peter, Handsworth (1907). The living, a perpetual curacy from 1861 to 1868 and a vicarage thereafter, was in the gift of the Rector of St. Mary's until transferred to the patronage of the bishop in 1892. (fn. 49) St. Michael's mission room was licensed for public worship, 1888-93; Church House, Soho Rd., 1908-26. (fn. 50)