When it was built in 1869, St Anne's church was tucked in between rows of tunnel-back and back-to-back housing in a district increasingly being turned over to industry. This was a a small red-brick church designed by J G Dunn in a Gothic style with a chancel and nave, aisles and a bellcote. Three of the four bells, dated 1650, 1638 and 1740, were brought from St Mary's, Moseley in 1874. A parish was assigned out of St Matthew's, Duddeston.
The church was closed in 1951, and the benefice united with that of St Matthew's.