This plan of the east end of the church by J A Chatwin showing the children's galleries appears on the Church Plans Online website.
St Clement's church was consecrated in 1859. Standing on the corner of Nechells Park Road and Stuart Street it was a small cruciform building of brick and stone designed by the prolific Birmingham architect, J A Chatwin in Gothic style. There was a chancel and nave, aisles, transepts, and a turret at the south-east angle of the nave. Its parish was assigned out of that of St Matthew's, Duddeston in 1860.
By the 1970s almost every building in the district had been demolished and the area was beginning to be rebuilt. The church congregation dropped dramatically and the decision was taken in 1977 to close the church and demolish the building. Strangely, the church hall survived, although there are currently plans to demolish it.
The War Memorial of St Clement's church now stands at the corner of Nechells Park Road and Stuarts Road in the grounds of the James Memorial Homes.
Image from the War Memorials Online website - www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk.
William Dargue 30.05.2016