The present brick St James' was built in 1981 and is the church's third rebuilding. It stands, as it always has done, in a densely built part of Aston.
Demolished and a new church built
St James' Church website
The church website can be found at http://www.astonnechellscofe.org.uk/history_stjames/ .
Press function key F5 to refresh the map.
St James' Church in Frederick Road originated as a mission of Ss Peter & Paul's, Aston parish church, in 1891.
A new church was built in 1906 of white brick with stone and red brick dressings in the Gothic style. It had a chancel, nave with aisles and a vestry.
Consecrated the same year, a parish was assigned to it out of that of Ss Peter & Paul.
St James' also had a mission room in Tower Road licensed for public worship from 1908 to 1937.
In 1981 a multi-purpose building replaced the earlier gothic church of 1906. The main hall has a Sanctuary that may be screened off, allowing the nave area to be used for community use. The building also includes purpose-built accommodation for the St James Community Support and Advice Centre.
The church was badly damaged by fire in 2001 necessitating major repairs.
Image below from Google Maps.
Acknowledgement - See British History Online - Victoria County History of Warwick Volume 7 The City of Birmingham ed. W B Stevens 1964 - http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22976.
There is further information on the church in a thread on the Birmingham History Forum website - http://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=34309.
William Dargue 18.10.2011