St Mary & St John
No longer Church of England
St John's chapel in Couchman Rd was set up in 1908 as a mission of St Saviour's, Saltley in a district being rapidly built up with working class terraced housing. A site was found in 1913 at the junction of Alum Rock Road and Naseby Road and a parish was assigned out of St Saviour's, St Mark's, Washwood Heath, and St Margaret's, Ward End in 1929.
A new church was built in brown brick in a Roman basilica style in 1934 by the Arts & Crafts-influenced Birmingham practice of Holland and Hobbis. It was consecrated the following year.
The original building had a 6-bay nave and aisles with a tall bell turret with arched openings. To this was added, in 1957, major additions at the east end with a hall, kitchen and toilet. A sanctuary, chapel and vestries for the choir and clergy were also built with the west porch being added later.
The building is now used by a Pentecostal church.