St Patrick's Church stood on Frank Street between Highgate Street and the old Belgrave Road where Frank Street now joins Belgrave Middleway. It was originally opened as a dual-purpose iron chapel and school in 1889.
Designed by John Loughborough Pearson, the architect of St Alban's, a small permanent church opened in 1896 with a temporary iron chancel and only the base of the proposed tower. The church was of red brick designed Early English style and comprised a chancel, nave, aisles, and vestry.
The church was consecrated in 1899 and a separate parish was created one year later out of the parishes of St Alban, St Paul, Balsall Heath and St Thomas in the Moors, Balsall Heath. The temporary iron chancel was replaced in brick with a polygonal apse in 1906, but the tower was never built.
In August 1940 the organ was destroyed and the choir stalls damaged by German incendiary bombs.
Negotiations to close the church began in 1947 as the church (and later St Patrick's School) stood in the way of the Middle Ring Road Scheme and plans for clearance and redevelopment of the housing in the area. There was more than adequate provision for the congregation at nearby St Alban's. St Patrick's church closed in 1964 was demolished two years later.
Much of the church furniture was installed at St Alban's: the statue of St Patrick, the rood beam, two stained glass windows of St Thomas of Canterbury and St James of Nisibis and the wrought iron railings of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, made by the Bromsgrove Guild, now forming the side of St Alban's Lady Chapel.
It was not until 1973 that Parochial Church Council of St Patrick's was dissolved and the parish united with that of St Alban's
A history of St Patrick's church, on which this article is based, can be found on the St Alban's church website - http://www.saintalban.co.uk/history/st-patricks-church.
William Dargue 15.01.2018