St Margaret of Antioch
St Margaret's church was built to serve a district of dense back-to-back housing. It closed when the area was redeveloped after the Second World War.
Press function key F5 to refresh the map.
This church appears on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map which can be viewed at British History Online - http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10089&ox=3218&oy=1748&zm=1&czm=1&x=216&y=94.
The church of St Margaret of Antioch at the corner of Ledsam Street and Alston Street in Ladywood was consecrated in 1875. Built in red brick in Early English style, there was an apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, baptistery, and a west porch with an organ gallery over it. The architects were the Birmingham practice of Osborn and Reading. A parish was assigned out of St. John's, Ladywood, in 1876.
The church was demolished about 1955 ahead of wholesale redevelopment of the district. Guild Close is now on the site.
William Dargue 02.05.2016