Work in progress . . .
Chapels & Churches in the Ancient Parish of
By the 1850s merchants, industrialists, coal and iron masters and the like were setting home in elegant villas along the Soho Road and into Handsworth which, nonetheless, was still largely rural at this time. From the 1830s new churches were built initially as chapels of the parish church of St Mary's.
Rural Perry Barr was in effect a sub-manor of Handsworth and St John the Baptist was the first to be built in 1833.
< For individual churches of Handsworth click on the links left.
Churches are in chronological order of foundation
In 1820 Handsworth Parish Church was enlarged to accommodate the increasing population of the district. However, building of new housing estates was proceeding so quickly that the building of new churches in the parish began.