St John the Baptist
The old church demolished and a new one built
The church of St John the Baptist was built on St John's Road just off Harborne High Street in 1858. Designed in brick in Early English Gothic style by Yeoville Thomason, it comprised a chancel, nave, aisles and a tower with a spire. A parish was assigned out of St Peter's, Harborne, in 1859, enlarged by part of St Augustine's, Edgbaston in 1906.
The church was destroyed by a German bomb in 1941 and it was not until 1960 that a new church was built on the site of the church hall (formerly the church school) between the High Street and Vivian Road. It is a brick building designed by E M Marriner in a simple mid-20th-century style. Internally the nave and chancel are undivided and there are shallow transepts and a gallery. A new church hall stands to the west.
The church website - http://www.stjohns-church.co.uk/.
William Dargue 13.02.2018