Hazelwell

St Mary Magdalen

Work in progress . . . Temporary article - Information taken from British History Online - http://www.british-history.ac.uk

1906

97. ST. MARY MAGDALEN, Hazelwell (Vicarage Rd. and Priory Rd.), originated as a mission of All Saints', King's Heath, first licensed in 1906 and known as the St. Mary Magdalen mission church from 1916. (fn. 25) A Conventional District was attached to the church in 1922, (fn. 26) and a parish was assigned to it out of the parishes of All Saints, King's Heath, St. Nicolas, King's Norton, and the Ascension, Stirchley, in 1932. (fn. 27) The church was enlarged to three times its original size and was consecrated in 1936. (fn. 28) It is a low-built building of red brick in a modern style; in plan it is in the shape of a T with the foot pointing east and a tower projecting from the middle of the south wall. The large, square dormer windows are a prominent feature. The living, a perpetual curacy from 1932 and a vicarage from 1939, is in the gift of the Crown and the bishop alternately. (fn. 29)