Balsall Heath

St Thomas in the Moors

Work in progress . . . Temporary article - Information taken from British History Online - http://www.british-history.ac.uk

1883

124. ST. THOMAS IN THE MOORS, Balsall Heath (Cox Street West), a brick building designed by Bateman and Corser in the Gothic style and comprising chancel, nave, aisles, and north and south porches, was consecrated in 1883. (fn. 31) A parish was assigned out of St. Paul's, Balsall Heath, in 1884; (fn. 32) part of it was taken to form part of the parish of St. Patrick, Bordesley (1900). The living, a vicarage since 1884, is in the gift of public trustees. (fn. 33) A parochial hall in Clevedon Street was licensed for public worship from 1923 until the Second World War. (fn. 34)

 

 

from Showells Dicitonary -

Cox, William Sands, F.R.S. and F.R.C.S., the son of a local surgeon, was born in 1801. After "walking the hospitals" in London and Paris, he settled here in 1825, being appointed surgeon to the Dispensary, and in 1828, with the co-operation of the late Doctors Johnstone and Booth, and other influential friends, succeeded in organising the Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery, which proved eminently successful until, by the munificent aid of the Rev. Dr. Warneford, it was converted into Queen's College by a charter of incorporation, which was granted in 1843. The Queen's Hospital was also founded mainly through the exertions of Mr. Sands Cox, for the education of the medical students of the College. In 1863 Mr. Cox retired from practice, and went to reside near Tamworth, afterwards removing to Leamington and Kenilworth, at which latter place he died, December 23rd, 1875. He was buried in the family vault at Aston, the coffin being carried to the grave by six old students at the College, funeral scarfs, hatbands, and "other such pieces of mummery" being dispensed with, according to the deceased's wish. He left many charitable legacies, among them being £15,000, to be dealt with in the following manner:—£3,000 to be applied in building and endowing a church then in course of erection at Balsall Heath, and to be known as St. Thomas-in-the-Moors,