Parishes partially in the City of Birmingham
This website aims to cover churches within the City of Birmingham and is set out by ancient parish. Parishes and deaneries have changed over the years since the Diocese of Birmingham as set up in 1905.
The deaneries with which this website is mainly concerned are Aston, Birmingham City Centre, Coleshill, Edgbaston, Handsworth, Kings Norton, Moseley, Yardley & Bordesley and Sutton Coldfield.
There are complications around the edges of the modern city area. Typical of these is the parish of Minworth, which included what is now Castle Vale. This was formerly a detached hamlet of Curdworth separated from it by a strip of land, part of Sutton Coldfield. In 1931 Minworth was split between the City of Birmingham, Castle Bromwich and Sutton Coldfield; the Sutton portion came into Birmingham with Sutton in 1974. So Minworth and Castle Vale, although now part of the modern city, were part of a parish that is not, hence the locations of the articles in this section.