Historic County: Warwickshire
St George the Martyr
Originally part of the parish of Curdworth, Minworth did not have a church of its own until 1909 when a new chapel was built in a simple Early English style. Minworth became part of Birmingham in 1931 and this church is now part of a joint parish with Castle Vale.
St George's Church website
The church's own website can be found at - http://www.stgeorgesminworth.org.uk/.
See also A Church nedar You - http://www.achurchnearyou.com/minworth-st-george-the-martyr/.
You might also be interested in A History of Birmingham Places & Placenames . . . from A to Y - Minworth - http://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-m/minworth-minworth-greaves/.
Press function key F5 to refresh the map.
Minworth was formerly a detached hamlet of Curdworth separated from it by a strip of land, part of Sutton Coldfield. In 1931 Minworth was split between the City of Birmingham, Castle Bromwich and Sutton Coldfield; the Sutton portion came into Birmingham with Sutton in 1974. The parish church was that of Curdworth. In 1909 a chapel of Curdworth, the Church of St George on Minworth Green, was dedicated by the Bishop of Birmingham.
The church is built in brick with stone dressings in a simple Early English style. The building is not geographically aligned east-west, the east end almost faces north. While the side windows are very small, there is a 3-lancet (liturgical) east window and a large 4-lancet west window in Early English Gothic. There is a south aisle and south doorway. To the rear of the church a new parish hall has been built in recent years which doubled the size of the building.
A bellcote above the entrance holds a single tolling bell which was brought from Water Orton old church. The church there had two tolling bells cast by Joseph Smith of Edgbaston in 1709. In 1879, it was decided to remove one of the bells from the old church and hang it in the new church. The heavier bell must have been taken down at the same time, though it is not clear what happened to it before it was given to Minworth church. The 1 hundredweight bell is inscribed:
+ I WILL SOVND AND CALL THE CONGREGATION 1709.
St George’s is no longer part of Curdworth, but a joint parish with St Cuthbert of Lindisfarne, Castle Vale.
The images below are courtesy of the Additional Curates Society - http://www.additionalcurates.co.uk/ - and are reproduced here through the good offices of Fr Darren Smith and Robert Jordan. They are the copyright of the ACS and must not be used without their permission.
William Dargue 22.03.2012